Although Plone 3.3 is a minor release in the Plone 3 series, it does offer several refinements. Highlights of the 3.3 release include the ability to localize navigation, tabs, sitemaps and searches within folders. According to an announcement by Steve McMahon "this makes it much easier to develop autonomous sub-sites within a Plone site". The new Lineage add-on provides management facilities to exploit the new feature.
Some additional new features and refinements include:
- Automatic redirection when accessing link objects;
- Resource registry improvements that make it easier to organize IE fixes;
- Improvements to the Windows installer, so it asks for password when it doesn't have the right permissions when being run;
- Improvements to document locking behavior and timeouts, as well as the ability to disable it entirely;
- Fixes for Internet Explorer 8;
- A new view to render calendar events using the iCalendar standard;
- Improved access to content histories; and;
- Auto-discovery of ZCML configuration directives for add-on products.
Windows, Linux and OS X installers for the new release — and instructions for upgrading existing installations — are available on the Plone download page.