While a majority of IT professionals believe the secure sharing and transferring of files is very important, more than half are using unsecure cloud-file sharing services
LONDON, UK. – February 4, 2016 – Given the increase in threats and vulnerabilities introduced to the market on a daily basis, the process of moving company data securely is critical to the role of IT teams. Today, Ipswitch announced the findings of their new survey that evaluated the current file transfer solutions and policies in place for 555 IT professionals across the globe. The survey found that while IT teams believe secure file transfers are very important to their organisations, they lack the necessary tools to do so.
Key findings included:
- While 76 percent of IT professionals said that being able to securely transfer and share files internally and externally is very important, 61 percent said that unsecure cloud-file sharing services like Dropbox are being used within their organisations.
- 32 percent of IT professionals said that they do not have a file transfer policy in place, but 25 percent plan to integrate one. A quarter (25 percent) of IT professionals said that their organisations have file transfer technology policies in place but indicated that enforcement is inconsistent.
- 21 percent of IT professionals said they may have experienced a data breach or suffered data loss but are not sure. More than a third (38 percent) of IT professionals said their processes to identify and mitigate file transfer risk are not efficient.
- Less than half (46 percent) of IT professional respondents said that they have a Managed File Transfer (MFT) solution in place.
“The survey findings point to an obvious disconnect between IT and organisation leadership when it comes to file transfer security,” said Michael Hack, Senior Vice President of European Operations at Ipswitch. “IT teams need to voice this as a priority for 2016 to ensure the company has granular access control, automated policy governance, and protection of data in transit and at rest. By implementing a MFT solution and enforcing strict policies, IT teams can make sure sensitive company data is safe and secure, without hassle.”
Ipswitch will be exploring the topic of file transfer security more in-depth during the following three webinars:
- Protect Your Patent Data and Meet HIPAA Compliance Demands – available on-demand
- Implementing Compliance Controls for Data Privacy in Regulated Industries – February 17, 2016
- Protecting data-in-motion – what to consider when implementing IT controls to comply with GDPR – February 24, 2016
Ipswitch polled 555 IT team members who work in companies across the globe with greater than 500 employees. We surveyed IT pros globally, partnering with Vanson Bourne in Europe, between October-November 2015 to learn about their File Transfer habits and goals.