Online video becomes the star format for branded content
London, 15th January 2013: 2012 was characterized by a marked increase of online video in brands’ communication strategies. The top videos of 2012 ranked by Ebuzzing Social, the global experts in social video advertising, show the importance of this emerging format and its potential as a medium for original content and creative advertising.
In 2012 the sectors which had the most success in online video were Entertainment, Technology, Luxury and Drinks
- Samsung, Google, Red Bull and Dior all have 2 videos each in the global top 20 videos
Sports stars are the key to success
- With over 100 million views, Turkish Airlines’ video featuring Kobe Bryant and Lionel Messi took the top spot, despite only being published on the 6th December. The use of two of the best sportsmen of all time and one small boy struck a chord with millions of viewers worldwide.
- 4 of the top 5 videos feature sports stars or sporting activities. Despite being overshadowed by Felix Baumgartner’s leap from space, Ken Block’s Gymkhana five: ultimate urban playground – San Francisco takes 2nd place with over 38 million views and an interaction rate of 2.4%
85% of online videos were created specifically for online distribution
- Advertisers use a wide range of formats - longform, shortform, behind the scenes etc.
- Globally the average video length is around 3 minutes, however it is shorter in the UK with an average of 100 seconds - still much longer than the average 30 second TV spot.
- The videos with the best interaction rate tend to be the longer videos
Video is becoming a fundamental part of advertiser’s brand content strategy
- Video helps to convey the messages brands want to send to consumers. As we can see from the top 20, consumers respond to ‘true’ stories, humor and ads which touch their imaginations.
- Some brands also use video for ‘how-to’ guides, for example, Samsung released an 8 minute video demonstrating the features of the Samsung Galaxy II.
TOP 20 most viewed branded videos published in 2012 from a global account
|Title||Author||Number ofViews||Interaction rate||Video Length (Seconds)|
|1||Kobe vs Messi: Legends on Board||Turkish Airlines||101 621 822||1,2%||61|
|2||Ken Block's gymkhana five: ultimate urban playground SF||DC shoes FILM||38 488 002||2,4%||592|
|3||Felix Baumgartner's supersonic freefall from 128k' - Mission Highlights||Redbull||31 923 945||0,6%||90|
|4||Man of Steel - Official Trailer #2 [HD]||Warner Bros Pictures||25 827 140||1,0%||153|
|5||My time is now||Nike Football||21 225 632||0,8%||189|
|6||L'Invitation Au Voyage||Louis Vuitton||19 972 569||0,1%||60|
|7||Skyfall - Official Trailer||Sony Pictures||18 371 728||0,4%||154|
|8||The Hottest @Abercrombie & Fitch Guys, "Call Me Maybe" by Carly Rae Jeps||Abercrombie&Fitch||18 114 393||2,5%||196|
|9||'Secret Garden - Versailles' | Film||Dior||17 467 731||<0,1%||60|
|10||Grand Theft Auto V: Official Trailer #2||Rockstar Games||16 524 876||0,1%||111|
|11||Barbie™ Life in the Dreamhouse -- Happy Birthday Chelsea||Barbie||15 953 239||<0,1%||198|
|12||Madagascar 3 - Afro Circus Remix||Dreamworks Animation||15 690 383||0,4%||60|
|13||Introducing Samsung GALAXY Note II||SAMSUNG Mobile||15 652 019||0,4%||497|
|14||Go Google: Google Drive||15 234 990||<0,1%||55|
|15||Zeitgeist 2012: Year In Review||13 147 575||0,6%||166|
|16||The Athlete Machine - Red Bull Kluge||Redbull||12 900 122||1,0%||358|
|17||Seductive Motion||Samsung Televisions||12 733 152||0,1%||99|
|18||Assassin's Creed 3 E3 Frontier Gameplay Demo||Ubisoft||12 518 497||0,1%||422|
|19||Heineken The Express||Heineken||11 938 117||0,1%||60|
|20||J'adore Dior | Le Parfum- The film - [60" Version]||Dior||11 899 329||0,6%||63
All rankings are based on the number of views a video received in 2012.
Interaction rate = number of Facebook interactions (likes+shares+comments) / otal views
Additional Tables Available at http://www.realwire.com/releases/Ebuzzing-Socials-Top-Videos-Of-2012