First Open Source Software to Obtain U.S. Department of Defense 5015.02 Records Management Certification
Alfresco Software, a leader in open source enterprise content management (ECM), today announced the immediate availability of the Alfresco Records Management Module, which also recently became the first open source software to pass the rigorous U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) 5015.02 standard certification. This module and certification enables Alfresco to extend its cost-effective open source records management and retention tools to support the governance, retention and compliance strategies of federal agencies, government bodies and commercial organizations.
The 5015.02 standard defines the mandatory operational, legislative and regulatory requirements that must be met by any records management application products acquired by the DoD. With this certification, federal agencies can now take advantage of Alfresco as a cost-effective alternative to traditional records management solutions, which are typically priced on a per user basis. As a result, the Alfresco Records Management Module enables simple and active compliance across the entire enterprise.
Alfresco Records Management Module offers the following features and capabilities:
- Simple Single Repository – All content captured, managed and controlled in a single repository, enabling seamless integration with document and Web content management tools. This avoids the need for content transfer with potential loss of information and reduces the number of systems to administer;
- User-friendly Web-based Interface – Access to records management functionality through a Web-based interface, enabling greater user adoption with secure access from any location and no desktop installation; and,
- Easy Email Filing – Native support of IMAP protocol, enabling the filing of emails from any email client, without the need to install a plugin. Alfresco Records Management appears as a mail folder allowing users to simply file records with drag and drop or automated by the use of email rules.
In addition, the module’s functionality also includes:
- Enhanced permissions model based on user capabilities and roles;
- Full record lifecycles based on disposal schedules;
- Support for complex transfers;
- Support for Vital Records and their reviews;
- Search, workflow and hold tools to comply with transparency and Freedom of Information Act regulations;
- Ability to create a Hold record for legal or litigation; and,
- Saved searches to enhance user’s ability to find and manage records.
“Alfresco Records Management Module has the ability to transform the way in which government and commercial organizations approach their governance, retention and compliance strategies, as the open source pricing model will significantly reduce the barrier to regulatory compliance,” said John Newton, CTO of Alfresco Software. “The DoD standard has become a benchmark for electronic records management systems and this certification demonstrates our commitment to delivering cost-effective technology to help organizations preserve official records in accordance with the strict legal requirements needed to manage vital company information.”
Alfresco Records Management Module will be available for the Alfresco Enterprise Edition 3.2 before the end of the year.
Alfresco Records Management Module v3.2 can be downloaded from: http://wiki.alfresco.com/wiki/Download_Community_Edition
Source: Alfresco Press Release